Oxalic etching solution is the most popular electrolytic etching solution for revealing the microstructure of austenitic stainless steels (300 series). Made with ACS reagent grade oxalic acid. This product is listed in ASTM standard E 407 as formula number 13.
For austenitic stainless steels:
**This procedure requires the use of electrolytic etching equipment**
1. Polish the sample’s surface.
2. Prepare a 6V DC power source with stainless steel electrodes (schematic diagram).
3. Place the sample into the etching cell or a beaker and submerge it with the oxalic etching solution.
4. Suspend the cathode (−) in the solution.
5. Connect the anode (+) to the polished metal surface.
6. Etch for about a minute. Bubbles will form on the sample’s surface during etching.
7. Inspect the etched surface with a microscope.
Nalgene® Leakproof Bottle, HDPE.
|Dimensions||4.4 × 3.5 × 6.5 in|
Now serving US & Canada.
All prices are in $USD.
Overnight and UPS collect available.
Commercial shipping address required.